Saturday, 30 Aug 2025
America Age
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Font ResizerAa
America AgeAmerica Age
Search
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
America Age > Blog > World > Russian billionaire behind mercenary army in Ukraine confronted Putin about botching the war, report says
World

Russian billionaire behind mercenary army in Ukraine confronted Putin about botching the war, report says

Enspirers | Editorial Board
Share
Russian billionaire behind mercenary army in Ukraine confronted Putin about botching the war, report says
SHARE
Yevgeny Prigozhin

A file photo of Yevgeny Prigozhin.Mikhail Svetlov/Getty Images

  • Russian tycoon Yevgeniy Prigozhin met with Putin in private this month, The Washington Post said.

  • It said Prigozhin, founder of the Wagner Group, criticized the handling of the Ukraine war.

  • Such an encounter would be a rare moment of dissent for Putin. Prigozhin denied it happened.

The Russian billionaire who founded the notorious Wagner Group paramilitary confronted President Vladimir Putin about the mismanagement of the war in Ukraine, two US officials familiar with the matter told The Washington Post.

Yevgeniy Prigozhin met with Putin in private earlier in October to voice dissent as Russia chalked up mounting losses and failures in the face of Ukraine’s counteroffensive, per The Post.

The outlet reported that the exchange was considered important enough to be included in a daily intelligence briefing provided to President Joe Biden.

The encounter had previously been reported, including by Insider, citing The Post’s reporting, but without Prigozhin’s name.

According to the intelligence report, Prigozhin said the Russian Defense Ministry was leaning too heavily Wagner mercenaries while giving them insufficient support, per The Post.

In a statement to The Post, Prigozhin denied that he spoke to Putin and said he has no right to criticize Russia’s army.

“First, I did not communicate personally with Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin either recently or in any foreseeable future,” he told the Post through his press service. “I did not criticize the management of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation during the conflict in Ukraine. Therefore, I cannot comment on anything.”

Experts say the private meeting was an indication that Prigozhin is comfortable enough to discuss sensitive matters with Putin and that his influence is growing.

“People like Prigozhin now see a chance to grab for the brass ring,” Fiona Hill, a former senior White House official, told The Post. “This really shows the system is under stress when people start pushing themselves forward like this.”

The Wagner Group is a Russian mercenary organization that has been linked to massacres and atrocities in Ukrainian cities like Bucha and has also been accused of committing widespread war crimes in other countries, including Libya, and Syria.

After years of staying quiet about his links to the organization, Prigozhin acknowledged earlier this month that he in fact founded it, Foreign Policy reported.

Prighozin is not the only Putin loyalist to voice criticism of the Russian military amid the ongoing conflict.

After Ukraine recaptured swathes of territory in its northeastern Kharkiv region last month, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov suggested that the military had made “mistakes” and that Putin might not be aware of what is happening on the ground, The Guardian reported. 

Read the original article on Business Insider

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Macron urges Pope to call Biden, dictator Putin and head of Russian Orthodox Church Kirill Macron urges Pope to call Biden, dictator Putin and head of Russian Orthodox Church Kirill
Next Article Russia doubles down on ‘false’ dirty bomb claim with UN, West decries it as pretext to war escalation Russia doubles down on ‘false’ dirty bomb claim with UN, West decries it as pretext to war escalation

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

Popular Posts

Cart Confidential Vol. 4 – Julia Berolzheimer

Welcome again to Cart Confidential, the place I share precisely what’s caught my eye—what I’ve…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Will Smith and Michael B. Jordan to Star in and Produce I Am Legend Sequel

Michael B. Jordan Will SmithAmanda Edwards/WireImage; Frazer Harrison/Getty Will Smith and Michael B. Jordan are…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Ukraine Latest: EU to Discuss Punishing Iran Over Russia Aid

(Bloomberg) -- European Union foreign and defense ministers meet in Brussels this week, where they’ll…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Diddy Claims Prosecutors Confirmed Choose Edited Cassie Video to Make Him Look Harmful

Diddy is accusing federal prosecutors of soiled pool ... claiming they confirmed the decide an…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

You Might Also Like

Court docket orders seizure of counterfeit underwear vendor’s £90m belongings
World

Court docket orders seizure of counterfeit underwear vendor’s £90m belongings

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Former inmate responsible of murdering jail officer in Lancashire revenge killing
World

Former inmate responsible of murdering jail officer in Lancashire revenge killing

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Murray Watt backs ‘no-go’ zones the place improvement is banned – however not for Tasmania’s Robbins Island
World

Murray Watt backs ‘no-go’ zones the place improvement is banned – however not for Tasmania’s Robbins Island

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell
World

Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
America Age
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


America Age: Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Company
  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • WP Creative Group
  • Accessibility Statement
Contact Us
  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability
Terms of Use
  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?