Friday, 29 Aug 2025
America Age
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Font ResizerAa
America AgeAmerica Age
Search
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
America Age > Blog > World > Police: Arrest made in slaying of girl walking on NYC street
World

Police: Arrest made in slaying of girl walking on NYC street

Enspirers | Editorial Board
Share
Police: Arrest made in slaying of girl walking on NYC street
SHARE

NEW YORK (AP) — A suspect was charged Saturday in the fatal shooting of a teen girl who was walking home from school when she was hit by a stray bullet during a street dispute in New York City.

New York Police Department officials announced the arrest of Jeremiah Ryan on charges of murder, attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon in connection with Friday’s shooting.

Police identified the girl killed in the shooting as 16-year-old Angellyh Yambo. Another 16-year-old girl was hit in the leg, and a 17-year-old boy was wounded in the buttocks. Both are expected to survive.

Prosecutors said Ryan, 17, would have a court appearance either later Saturday or on Sunday. They declined further comment.

It was not immediately clear if Ryan had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.

The shooting in the Bronx was the latest episode of headline-grabbing violence in the city amid a surge in crime during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Police had said the gunfire appeared to start after Ryan and another person were gesturing at each other across an intersection. The teens who were struck were walking by on the sidewalk headed home from school, police said.

Police were investigating whether the shooting suspect, who had no criminal record, was using a so-called “ghost gun” — homemade firearms that can be built with parts bought online and lack serial numbers normally used to trace them. They said a total of six rounds were fired.

At a news briefing on Saturday, Deputy Police Chief Timothy McCormack expressed dismay over the circumstances of the case.

“We have two families that are completely destroyed right now — our victim’s family and our shooter’s family,” McCormack said. He described the suspect’s mother as “a hard-working woman” whose child had “zero police contact” before his arrest.

The shooting happened outside of the South Bronx Educational Campus, which is home to two schools, Mott Haven Village Prep and University Heights Secondary School.

The Department of Education said two of the teens went to Mott Haven. The third teen went to University Prep Charter High School, a short distance away.

Mayor Eric Adams has made fighting crime a priority since taking office Jan. 1. Homicides are down slightly from this time last year, but gun violence overall remains at levels not seen in a decade.

New York City saw shootings drop to modern-era lows from 2012 to 2019, but that progress was partly erased during the pandemic and social unrest of the past two years. Violence still remains at levels far below the city’s nadir in the 1990s or even in the decade after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Russia-Ukraine latest news: Rocket attack destroys major airport in Dnipro Russia-Ukraine latest news: Rocket attack destroys major airport in Dnipro
Next Article Amber Heard Sounds Off Before Johnny Depp Defamation Trial: “I Have Always Maintained A Love For Johnny” Amber Heard Sounds Off Before Johnny Depp Defamation Trial: “I Have Always Maintained A Love For Johnny”

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

Popular Posts

‘Raised by Wolves’ Canceled at HBO Max After Two Seasons

Ridley Scott’s “Raised by Wolves” has been canceled after two seasons at HBO Max, Variety…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Antoinette Lattouf v ABC listening to stay: end line is shut in sacked reporter’s combat for compensation

Key occasionsPresent key occasions solelyPlease activate JavaScript to make use of this functionWe’re off once…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Former 76ers Participant Is Signing Contract To Play Abroad

(Picture by Lisa Lake/Getty Pictures for PGD International)   For years, there have been rumors…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

‘Love Island’ U.S. Version Moves from CBS to Peacock with 2 New Seasons in the Works

The U.S. version of “Love Island” has a new home. New seasons of the hit…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

You Might Also Like

Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell
World

Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Speedy closure of asylum inns might result in migrants ‘living destitute in the streets’, says minister – UK politics dwell
World

Speedy closure of asylum inns might result in migrants ‘living destitute in the streets’, says minister – UK politics dwell

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Zelenskyy requires extra strain on Russia so ‘murderers do not feel impunity’ after Thursday’s Kyiv strikes – Europe stay
World

Zelenskyy requires extra strain on Russia so ‘murderers do not feel impunity’ after Thursday’s Kyiv strikes – Europe stay

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Gaza hunger is actual and it’s taking place now, UN World Meals Programme says – Center East disaster stay
World

Gaza hunger is actual and it’s taking place now, UN World Meals Programme says – Center East disaster stay

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
America Age
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


America Age: Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Company
  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • WP Creative Group
  • Accessibility Statement
Contact Us
  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability
Terms of Use
  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?