Friday, 29 Aug 2025
America Age
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Font ResizerAa
America AgeAmerica Age
Search
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
America Age > Blog > World > Israel upholds use of surveillance technology on protesters
World

Israel upholds use of surveillance technology on protesters

Enspirers | Editorial Board
Share
Israel upholds use of surveillance technology on protesters
SHARE

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s attorney general has upheld the Shin Bet security agency’s use of mobile-phone tracking technology to monitor and threaten Palestinian protesters at Jerusalem’s most sensitive holy site last year.

The decision, which came on Tuesday, drew harsh criticism from the civil rights group that challenged the use of the technology. The group warned that it would have a “chilling effect” on the country’s Arab minority.

The attorney general’s move was in response to a complaint over a series of text messages sent out last May to hundreds of Palestinians at the height of one of the city’s most turbulent periods in years. At the time, Palestinian protesters were clashing with Israeli police at the Al Aqsa Mosque in violence that helped spark an 11-day war between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.

Using its tracking technology, the Shin Bet sent a text message to people who were determined to be in the area of the clashes and told them “we will hold you accountable” for acts of violence.

The recipients included both Palestinian residents of east Jerusalem, as well as Palestinian citizens of Israel. While some recipients had participated in the clashes, many others, such as people who lived, worked or prayed in the area, received the message erroneously and said they were surprised or scared by the message.

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel, a civil-society group, filed a complaint to the office of Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, urging him to halt the use of the technology. It cited the use of the tool on a large group of people and the threatening language of the text.

In its response, the attorney general’s office acknowledged there had been problems with the message, both with its language and because the mass distribution included unintended targets. But it said the use of the technology was a legitimate security tool and that the security service has revised its procedures to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

“After discussions with us on this subject, lessons were learned in the security agency and guidelines formulated in various aspects with the goal of preventing a recurrence of problems like this,” said the opinion. It said the office planned no further intervention in the matter.

Tuesday was the final day of Mandelblit’s six-year term. The Association for Civil Rights in Israel, or ACRI, expressed disappointment with the ruling.

“They say they have the authority to continue sending these kind of texts to people,” said Gil Gan-Mor, who heads the group’s unit on human rights in the digital age. “We think differently.”

He said authorities have tools to investigate and prosecute people suspected in violence, but sending threatening messages was not the way to maintain security.

“Obviously this will have a chilling effect, to say the least, on practicing legitimate activities, like going to a protest or going to pray somewhere,” he said. The group was studying the decision and would decide in the coming days whether to file an appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court, he added.

ACRI has previously filed legal challenges to the government’s use of the same Shin Bet tracking technology as a contact-tracing tool to prevent the spread of the coronavirus early in the pandemic.

Israel’s Supreme Court eventually restricted the use of the tool to specific cases, and studies have found that it was largely ineffective in identifying people with COVID-19.

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article CORRECTED-UPDATE 3-N.Ireland minister orders halt to agri-food Brexit checks CORRECTED-UPDATE 3-N.Ireland minister orders halt to agri-food Brexit checks
Next Article David Crosby and Stephen Stills Ask to Remove Their Music From Spotify — Including Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Albums David Crosby and Stephen Stills Ask to Remove Their Music From Spotify — Including Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Albums

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

Popular Posts

UN names Palestinian media program for slain reporter

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations announced Tuesday that it is naming the annual…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Iran nuclear talks to resume in days: EU’s Borrell

Talks on reviving the Iran nuclear deal, which have been stalled for three months, will…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Ada Limón Makes Poems for a Living

“I am very much myself on the page, and I like that about my work,”…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

‘Minari’ Oscar Winner Youn Yuh-Jung Stars in First Trailer for Apple’s Multigenerational Saga ‘Pachinko’ (Video)

Apple released the first trailer for its multigenerational series “Pachinko” on Wednesday. “Minari” Oscar winner…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

You Might Also Like

Court docket orders seizure of counterfeit underwear vendor’s £90m belongings
World

Court docket orders seizure of counterfeit underwear vendor’s £90m belongings

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Former inmate responsible of murdering jail officer in Lancashire revenge killing
World

Former inmate responsible of murdering jail officer in Lancashire revenge killing

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Murray Watt backs ‘no-go’ zones the place improvement is banned – however not for Tasmania’s Robbins Island
World

Murray Watt backs ‘no-go’ zones the place improvement is banned – however not for Tasmania’s Robbins Island

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell
World

Backlash as White Home chooses Robert F Kennedy Jr deputy to run CDC – US politics dwell

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
America Age
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


America Age: Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Company
  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • WP Creative Group
  • Accessibility Statement
Contact Us
  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability
Terms of Use
  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?