Friday, 29 Aug 2025
America Age
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Font ResizerAa
America AgeAmerica Age
Search
  • Trending
  • World
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
    • Economy
    • Real Estate
    • Money
    • Crypto & NFTs
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion / Beauty
    • Art & Books
    • Culture
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
America Age > Blog > World > UN peacekeeping convoy attacked in Mali — 1 killed, 3 hurt
World

UN peacekeeping convoy attacked in Mali — 1 killed, 3 hurt

Enspirers | Editorial Board
Share
UN peacekeeping convoy attacked in Mali — 1 killed, 3 hurt
SHARE

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — A U.N. peacekeeping convoy was attacked by suspected terrorists in northern Mali on Wednesday and a Jordanian peacekeeper was killed and three other Jordanians were wounded, the United Nations said.

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the supply convoy was under sustained fire for about an hour from attackers who used small arms and rocket launchers.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the attack and sent deepest condolences to the families of the peacekeepers and the government and people of Jordan, Dujarric said.

According to the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali, the attack was the fifth incident in the northern Kidal region in just one week, Dujarric said.

“It is a tragic reminder of the complexity of the mandate of the U.N. mission and of its peacekeepers, and the threats peacekeepers face on a daily basis,” he said.

Mali has struggled to contain an Islamic extremist insurgency since 2012. Extremist rebels were forced from power in Mali’s northern cities with the help of a French-led military operation, but they regrouped in the desert and began launching attacks on the Malian army and its allies. Insecurity has worsened with attacks in the northern and central regions on civilians and U.N. peacekeepers.

Mali’s military returned to Kidal, a longtime rebel stronghold in the north, in February 2020, six years after its forces retreated amid violence. U.N. peacekeepers have also been deployed in the north.

The U.N. force has said over 250 of its peacekeepers and personnel have died since 2013, making Mali the deadliest of the U.N.’s dozen peacekeeping missions worldwide.

The U.N. special representative for Mali, El Ghassim Wane, issued a statement Wednesday saying the U.N. mission remains determined to support Mali’s people and government in their quest for peace and security, Dujarric said.

In August 2020, Malian President Boubacar Ibrahim Keita, who died in January, was overthrown in a coup that included Assimi Goita, then an army colonel. Last June, Goita was sworn in as president of a transitional government after carrying out his second coup in nine months.

In mid-May, Goita’s government said security forces had thwarted a countercoup attempt that it said was supported by an unnamed Western government.

The accusations of foreign interference come as Goita’s regime becomes increasingly isolated. A day earlier, the government announced that Mali was dropping out of a five-nation regional security force known as the G5. It was also sharply critical of former colonial power France, which announced in February it was pulling its troops out of Mali.

While Mali’s junta initially agreed to an 18-month transition back to civilian rule, it failed to organize elections by the deadline in February. Last month, the government said it would need two more years in power before it could organize a vote.

Share This Article
Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Depp-Heard Verdict Splits Fans Just Like the Jury: From ‘Justice Is Served’ to ‘Profound Misogyny’ Depp-Heard Verdict Splits Fans Just Like the Jury: From ‘Justice Is Served’ to ‘Profound Misogyny’
Next Article The Next Battleground for Gig Worker Labor Laws: Massachusetts The Next Battleground for Gig Worker Labor Laws: Massachusetts

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

Popular Posts

Spanish Prime Minister Sanchez Urges Restraint on Food Price Increases

(Bloomberg) -- Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez called on local grocery retailers to restrain price…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

How a French Bank Captured Haiti

Yet Another LoanThe second half of the 19th century should have offered Haiti an enormous…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

The Weeknd suddenly cuts short L.A. concert due to vocal issues: ‘This is killing me’

The Weeknd performs onstage during his "After Hours Til Dawn" tour at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

Jay Slater: physique present in Tenerife is that of lacking Briton, post-mortem confirms

An post-mortem has confirmed {that a} physique discovered by Spanish rescuers in Tenerife on Monday…

By Enspirers | Editorial Board

You Might Also Like

9 calls for Bob Katter apologise for ‘aggressive behaviour’ in the direction of reporter and considers authorized motion
World

9 calls for Bob Katter apologise for ‘aggressive behaviour’ in the direction of reporter and considers authorized motion

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
CDC officers who give up in protest lead name to ‘get politics out of public health’
World

CDC officers who give up in protest lead name to ‘get politics out of public health’

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Australia information dwell: extreme climate due in Porepunkah as manhunt continues; Roo-ver to move to moon
World

Australia information dwell: extreme climate due in Porepunkah as manhunt continues; Roo-ver to move to moon

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
Porepunkah suspect used to spy on my household with drones, says former neighbour
World

Porepunkah suspect used to spy on my household with drones, says former neighbour

By Enspirers | Editorial Board
America Age
Facebook Twitter Youtube

About US


America Age: Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Company
  • About Us
  • Newsroom Policies & Standards
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Careers
  • Media & Community Relations
  • WP Creative Group
  • Accessibility Statement
Contact Us
  • Contact Us
  • Contact Customer Care
  • Advertise
  • Licensing & Syndication
  • Request a Correction
  • Contact the Newsroom
  • Send a News Tip
  • Report a Vulnerability
Terms of Use
  • Digital Products Terms of Sale
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Settings
  • Submissions & Discussion Policy
  • RSS Terms of Service
  • Ad Choices
© 2024 America Age. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?